Bison Steak Salad -- Easy Recipe!


So it's been about a week since my last bison meal and I was really anxious to make something new I could post on my Instagram feed as it was feeling a little neglected. 

I wasn't really sure what to cook this evening. It has been one of those days where nothing really sounds good. I had some ground bison in the freezer as well as a couple bison flat iron steaks. So, after a bit of pondering, I settled on taking out one of the Flat Irons with a plan to make a nice, light bison steak salad.

I don't often do salad as a main course, particularly at dinner time, but when I do, I do it right. :) Bison Steak makes a great addition to salads, and the flat iron is a good match as it is quite thin and wonderfully tender. 


You can see in this picture below how this steak has a little more marbling than most other bison steaks you'll get (excluding, of course, the bison ribeye). 


This recipe was incredibly easy to put together. You can either grill or pan fry the Bison Flat Iron. Since we're still in the it gets dark pretty early time of year, I chose to pan fry it in my cast iron skillet. 

I seasoned the steak with garlic salt, black pepper and rosemary, which is a great combination on bison steaks. With my stove set between medium low and medium, I cooked this steak for about 6 minutes on each side until it was done rare.


Here is a shot of my cooked Bison Flat Iron. I usually cook it a little closer to medium doneness, although I did not have my meat thermometer handy and I ended up pulling it off a little early.


For the salad I just used a few things I picked up this evening at the grocery store. I got some fresh green lettuce which I washed and chopped up. To the lettuce I added thinly sliced red onion, banana peppers (which have really been growing on me lately) and freshly shredded parmesan. Of course there are many other veggies or cheeses you can use in this salad as well.

For a dressing I used a light amount of oil and vinegar, which topped it off perfectly.

All that was left to do was thinly slice up my meat and add it to the salad:


This was made with an 8 oz. steak and split between two people who (let's be honest) devoured it. I served it with garlic bread made from a french baguette on the side and quite enjoyed this clean, light dinner for a nice change!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

How to make awesome and saucy bison enchiladas