Easy, Cheesy, Firecracker Bison Meatballs



So, my appetite for meatballs seems to only continue to grow, as you can probably tell from my Instagram feed. And bison just works so great for meatballs. The meat is tasty and it really kicks up any pasta dish. So, despite the fact, that I'm planning a pasta and meatballs lunch with my grandma and cousins this weekend, I decided to try a new meatball concoction for lunch today!

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but just hadn't put it into action until now, but I wanted to try out making cheesy meatballs with a bit of a kick - and I really liked how these turned out!

As usual, this recipe is super easy, and really doesn't take much... just a little time. And, although I usually bake my meatballs, in the spirit of trying new things, I decided to cook these in my cast iron skillet.





Here's a quick shot of my meat mixture: 1/2 lb. Ground Bison, egg, garlic salt, basil, oregano, bread crumbs, chopped onion, pepper, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and crushed red pepper (see recipe instructions below for ingredient measurements!)




After mixing the ingredients together, all that's left to do is form them into meatballs! These look pretty darn good to me!




I heated about a 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil in my cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the pan was hot, I added the meatballs and browned all sides.




Once all sides have been browned, turn to medium low and add sauce. Cover skillet and cook / simmer for about 10 minutes.




For a bit of additional cheesiness, I added a couple handfuls of mozzarella cheese to my pan when I was just a couple minutes away from serving.




And here it is atop a pile of spaghetti for an awesome lunch!


Cheesy Firecracker Bison Meatballs

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. Ground Bison
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/8 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese (more, if desired)
1 tbsp. crushed red pepper (more, if desired)
garlic salt, to taste
basil, to taste
pepper, to taste
oregano, to taste

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together using clean hands. Form into balls.

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, place in meatballs and brown all sides. Add desired sauce, cover and cook/simmer for additional 10 minutes until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.

Serve with pasta.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

Easy Bison Meatballs using ingredients you already have!