Homemade biscuits and gravy just like mom used to make...

Seriously. Because this is my mom's recipe. See what I did there? Except actually, I wouldn't know because I don't think I've ever actually had my mom's biscuits and gravy. She always made other breakfast when she made biscuits and gravy, because while Dad loved them, the rest of us were too stubborn to try. Which is too darn bad. Because these are phenomenal. The truth is, I didn't know I liked biscuits and gravy until I had my first apartment in college. I decided to give mom's recipe a try - and once I actually looked at the ingredients, I realized it probably wasn't as scary as it looked.

I've never looked back from there. I love making biscuits and gravy now, although I don't make them very often. That requires getting up to work right after waking up in the morning on a weekend. No thank you! But there are those times when nothing can hold me back from the thought of nice warm biscuits smothered in this thick, creamy gravy... and on those days, we enjoy our fair share of biscuits and gravy!


The Steps...

I use Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage. I've pictured it here, because I've only ever used Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage. If they ever stop making it, I'll probably cry. Because sometimes I cry over food, and I think that's maybe a little weird... but probably OK.

Truth is, I've never ever tried any other kind of breakfast sausage. Mom told me once not to ever even bother buying anything else because Jimmy Dean is the best. So, I guess I really trusted her on this one and I hate that it's nearly $5 a pound now... but hey, that's brand loyalty, I suppose. The only way I would ever change my ways on this one is if I can get someone to make me BISON breakfast sausage. I've been working on it for awhile now... but we're just not quite there yet. (But I digress...)



The first thing you'll want to do is to finely chop just a little bit of onion... probably about 2 tbsp. worth, you can always do a little more if you really like onion.

When I make biscuits and gravy, I'm usually only cooking for two, so I half the batch and only use a half pound of the sausage. Then I save the other half and make amazing breakfast burritos with the other half the next weekend. Don't worry, I'll share that recipe with you too sometime. Another classic from mom. For the sake of this post, however, I'll be assuming you're using the full 1 lb. of sausage. Just know that you can easily half the recipe if you like!

Crumble your thawed sausage into a 5 qt. pot on the stove. Add your chopped onions. Brown the sausage until it is fully cooked. It shouldn't produce too much grease, so don't drain it. You want a little bit of the grease in there anyway.



After the meat has been browned, add in 6 Tbsp. of flour. Stir well and cook for about 2 minutes, until the meat turns golden. The flour is obviously what will help thicken your gravy.



Now is a good time to start thinking about your biscuits. Maybe you've already got the biscuits made ahead of time and that's certainly alright! Every time I make these, I do think to myself that next time I'd like to use homemade biscuits. But really, sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day. Pillsbury is a good substitute. I pop these in the oven right before I add the milk, that way they get done at just about the same time as my gravy and I have hot biscuits and hot gravy to serve!



Once the sausage is cooked and you've added the flour, it's time to stir in the milk and seasonings. Pour the remaining ingredients into your pot, and from now on, you'll have to stir almost constantly. 




It will take from anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes for your gravy to thicken, depending on how hot your stove is. I normally leave mine between medium low to medium. Continue stirring until the gravy thickens like shown below.

Serve over warm biscuits.



And here they are! Unfortunately, with all that white, they don't really photograph all that well. But you can tell... that's some good sausage gravy!



Homemade Biscuits and Gravy

Ingredients:

1 lb. Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
6 tbsp. flour
4 cups milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
dash worcestershire sauce
biscuits

Directions:

Crumble sausage into pan. Cook over medium low heat until completely browned. Stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until mixture turns golden. Stir in milk and add seasonings. Cook until thickened, stirring almost constantly. Serve over biscuits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

"Spicy Island Bison Burger" Recipe | Bison Burger with Grilled Pineapple