How to make awesome and saucy bison enchiladas

Enchiladas are probably one of the first foods I learned how to make. My mother loves Mexican food, and that is something I definitely inherited. And luckily, I found a partner in crime who loves Mexican food as well. I'm going to start by telling you, the enchilada recipe I'm about to share with you is nothing like the enchiladas you'll get if you go to the local Mexican restaurant... or at least it's nothing like the enchiladas I've ordered at Mexican restaurants here in Nebraska... I know, I know... Nebraska is not known for our quality Mexican food. And to be honest, I've been to Mexico City once back in high school and I didn't get the chance to order an enchilada (although I will say I had a few homemade tamales that I still dream about and salivate over... but that's another story) but I'm sure these enchiladas aren't super authentic either. But what these enchiladas are is delicious. And that's what truly counts, right? At least that's what counts in my book.


Although you can use beef in this recipe, I've completely switched over to bison in my recipes and no longer cook with beef, so I will be going through this recipe with bison as my meat of choice. I suggest you do the same, although I know the price point is a bit higher than beef, so I know not everyone is able to make the switch.


The Steps...

I'm not going to lie... when this is how a meal starts, you know it's going to be good!



The first thing you're going to want to do is crumble the meat in a frying pan and add some chopped onion. Season the meat with your favorite all purpose seasoning. I like to use Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Black Pepper.



Brown the bison until the pink is mostly gone. It's OK if there's still a little pink, bison should never be cooked to well done, as that will make it tough and chewy. Not good.



After the bison is cooked, drain any grease, if necessary. Return meat to your pan and season with taco seasoning. I like to use Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning. Follow the directions on the package. In my case, it calls for pouring the seasoning packet over the meat along with 2/3 cup water.

After seasoning with taco seasoning, you'll add a little bit of enchilada sauce as well. I use Old El Paso brand enchilada sauce as well. Pour 1/2 the standard size can into your meat and set the remaining half aside. You'll use it later.



Once the meat is prepared, you'll begin using the rest of your ingredients. Warm 6 flour tortillas in the microwave. Spoon 1/6 of your bison meat into the first tortilla and top with cheese. Then roll up the tortilla like a taco and place in a greased 9 X 13 casserole dish.





Repeat for each tortilla shell.



Once all enchiladas have been rolled, take your remaining enchilada sauce and spoon it over the shells, like so:



Top the enchiladas with shredded cheese and green onions.



Bake for 18 minutes at 375*.



Serve with rice, salsa, beans, chips, guacamole or any other Mexican side dish you enjoy!



This is a wonderfully easy recipe that tastes like it takes much more work than it does!

Saucy Enchiladas

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Bison
1 packet taco seasoning
6 tortilla shells, warmed
shredded cheddar (or colby jack) cheese
1 can enchilada sauce
small onion, chopped
green onion, chopped
seasoning salt
black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375*. Crumble bison meat into frying pan and add chopped onion. Season with seasoning salt and pepper.

Cook bison until most of the pink is gone. Drain any grease, if necessary.

Season bison meat with taco seasoning package according to package directions. Add in 1/2 can enchilada sauce.

Fill each tortilla shell with bison meat and cheese, roll up and place in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over shells. Sprinkle cheese and green onions on top.

Bake at 375* for 18 minutes. Serve with rice, beans and/or chips and salsa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

"Spicy Island Bison Burger" Recipe | Bison Burger with Grilled Pineapple