A Year of Burgers: Blue Cheese Bison Burgers with Buttered Onions

I LOVE Bison Burgers. Have I said that before? Probably. I'm usually pretty plain with my burgers. I put on a slice of cheese, add some ketchup... maybe onions, and I'm good to go. But there are so so so many other {delicious} ways to prepare burgers.

This year on the blog, I am resolving to post at least one new Bison Burger recipe each month in 2015. I'm calling it "A Year of Burgers". 

To kick off this series, we've got simple Blue Cheese Bison Burgers with buttered onions and a blue cheese dressing. See the delicious finished burgers below:



Usually (as you can see in my post about making gourmet bison burgers), I like to make nice big juicy 1/2 lb. burgers. However, in this recipe I went for a smaller, 1/4 lb. size and made up some nice side dishes to go with them.


To begin, shape bison burger into 1/4 lb. balls. Sprinkle a dash of Worcestershire sauce over top. Form balls into patty shapes. Lightly season over the top with salt and pepper.


To prepare the blue cheese dressing, mix 1/3 cup blue cheese, 2 tsp. mayo, a sprinkle of pepper and a dash of lemon juice.


Mix the ingredients for the blue cheese dressing together and set aside.


Take a small red onion and slice it into rings. Add a spoonful of butter into a frying pan and with the onion rings.


Heat the frying pan to medium heat and cook the onions until they begin to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.


My favorite way to cook burgers is on the grill, however, when it's below freezing outside, that just is not an option. So, in this recipe, I cooked the burgers in my frying pan with just a touch of olive oil.


Cook burgers on medium low heat for about 6 minutes on each side, until burgers reach medium well doneness.


Place cooked onions on the bottoms of your burger buns.


Place your burgers atop the onions...


and top with the blue cheese dressing.


Blue cheese has a strong taste, I probably shouldn't have put as much blue cheese on my burgers, for my own personal taste, I ended up scraping a little bit off.

Overall though, I do like the way blue cheese complements the bison. It may not be my favorite, but it does make for a nice change.

Blue Cheese Bison Burgers with Buttered Onions

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. ground bison burger
1/3 cup blue cheese
2 tsp. mayo
pepper
salt
dash of lemon juice
small red onion, sliced into rings
spoonful butter
dash olive oil
Worcestershire sauce
small hamburger buns

Directions:

To prepare blue cheese dressing: mix blue cheese, mayo, lemon juice and a sprinkle of pepper together. Set aside.

Prepare bison burger into two 1/4 lb. balls. Sprinkle a dash of Worcestershire sauce over the burger and form into patties. Lightly season with salt and pepper.

Place onion rings in frying pan with a spoonful of butter. Cook until onions begin to brown.

Place burger patties in a clean frying pan with a dash of olive oil. Cook over medium low heat for approximately 6 minutes on each side until burgers are cooked to medium doneness.

Place onions and burger on the bottom slices of hamburger buns. Top with blue cheese dressing. Serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

How to make awesome and saucy bison enchiladas