Delicious Bison Meatball Sub


Earlier this week, I inundated my NebraskaBison.com Instagram feed with several braggy pictures about what I was cooking that night. I was trying something new - and was so excited about it... I couldn't help but show off a little bit.



Meatball subs honestly aren't something I eat on a regular basis–or ever–but for some reason the other day I got it in my head that I wanted a meatball sub, and darn it, I was going to make one!

You see, I've been on a meatball kick lately. I've made a couple batches of really good bison meatballs and just continue to be hungry for them. So naturally, a bison meatball sub seemed like a great idea!


After completing this new recipe... there is one thing I would change from the get-go the next time I cook this. I made my meatballs much too big for my sandwiches. I wanted to make big, hearty meatballs, so I made six balls out of 1 lb. of burger and put three on each sandwich. I realize now, I could have made 12 meatballs, out of the 1 lb. and had some leftover, or used only a 1/2 lb. to make my six. Other than that, this sandwich recipe turned out pretty great!


Obviously, here my first step is to make the meatballs. To do that, I mixed together the ground bison with ketchup, mustard, oregano, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, oatmeal, egg, Worcestershire sauce and just a pinch of mozzarella cheese. Since I was planning to have onions on the sandwich, I did not include any onions in my meatballs like I normally would.


As stated before, in the future I will make smaller meatballs. I used 1 lb. of ground bison and made only six meatballs. Because you lose hardly any size in cooking (relatively little amount of grease), these were WAY too big! I would definitely make more meatballs to use later next time!


I then poured spaghetti sauce into the pan they were baking in and poured sauce over the top as well. This is really where preference is going to come into play. I used about a half jar of spaghetti sauce, but I can definitely see a desire to use more!


I then baked the meatballs in my oven – since they were so large, they cooked at 300*F for 45 minutes. Smaller meatballs will take a little less time.


While the meatballs were cooking, I browned some onions with olive oil for the sandwiches. I placed spinach leaves and the onions on the bottom of the sandwich.



When the meatballs were done cooking, I took parmesan cheese and sprinkled it generously over my meatballs.


Then it was time to finish building the sandwich. I placed three meatballs on the sandwich, scooping out the excess sauce and adding those to the sandwich as well.



Finally, I topped the sandwiches with a generous helping of shredded mozzarella cheese.


To complete the process, I toasted the sandwiches in my oven (at 350*F) for an additional 5 minutes. You could go to 10 minutes if you want your bread crunchier. 


I would say they turned out looking pretty good! Other than the fact that I had to get a knife and fork to eat my sandwich... these did not disappoint!



Bison Meatball Sub

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground bison burger
1 egg
dash Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/8 cup ketchup
dash of mustard
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
garlic, to taste
oregano, to taste
basil, to taste
spinach leaves
red onion, sliced
olive oil
hoagie sandwich buns
parmesan cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 jar spaghetti / marinara sauce, more as desired

Directions:

Mix together the following ingredients using clean hands: bison, egg, Worcestershire sauce, oatmeal, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil. Form into 8-12 equal sized balls and place in a baking dish. Pour spaghetti sauce in dish and over meatballs.

Bake at 300*F for 30-40 minutes based on size. (Balls should be firm, but not tough when pressed lightly.) When meatballs have completed baking, sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.

Brown onions with olive oil. Place spinach leaves and onions on bottom half of hoagie bun. Place 3 meatballs on each hoagie bun and spoon on extra sauce. Top with each with a generous helping of mozzarella cheese.

Toast in 350*F oven for an additional 5-10 minutes. Serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

How to make awesome and saucy bison enchiladas

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites