Fall Off The Bone Bison Short Ribs Recipe with Fried Pancetta and Mushrooms


So I've had Bison Short Ribs in my freezer since summer, and this week I finally decided to start using them! I haven't struck luck in the past when cooking with Short Ribs, so this time I turned to the internet for help. I spent quite a lot of time researching and looking for ideas, until ultimately, Gordon Ramsey decided to help me out. 

Here's a link to the video recipe that convinced me this was the way to go, and here's a link to the written out instructions. Since he was using beef, I had to update the recipe slightly for my bison, but other than that I followed his recipe pretty closely.

After settling on this recipe and buying the few ingredients I needed, it occurred to me that I didn't have the cookware to get the job done. So, I got a new pan... and honestly, I don't know how I haven't had a good dutch oven like this before. I can easily see this becoming my new favorite pot. (Sorry for my disgusting oven...) Another note on this awesome pot, it is a non-stick pot – literally. For the relatively low price I paid, I was honestly amazed at the quality and how good the non-stick was. It is hand wash only, but that's not really too big of a deal considering how easily everything wiped up. Here's a link to this pan on Amazon in case you want to check it out. Highly recommend!

Again, this is Mr. Ramsey's recipe for the most part, so follow his instructions, and I'll tell you where I made changes and show you my pictures – and the real result from someone who is not a trained chef. :) 

Here's what we're starting with, a rack of short ribs. You can see the bones on the bottom, and you'll need to cut them into separate pieces between the bones. (See next photo.)







Apparently I forgot to pepper half of the short ribs... not really sure what I was thinking there. But here they are, cut seasoned and in my pot ready to sear. 

Chef Ramsey suggests in his recipe letting them brown for 10-15 minutes, but since we are working with bison, and considerably less fat than beef short ribs, I cut that down significantly. What I did instead was simply brown all sides, which took only 2-3 minutes.




Once you get to the point where you are braising them in the wine, make sure the bones are all near the top. This is the way you'll want them to cook.




Here's a quick shot of my pancetta and mushrooms. I could not find the chestnut mushrooms at my grocery store, so I just substituted for what they had.




And here's a shot of the short ribs after they came out of the oven. The adjustments I made to cooking are:

  • I cooked at 250*F instead of 325*F. 
  • Also, I only slow cooked them for about 2.5 hours instead of the stated 3-4 in the recipe. This seemed to be a winning combination, however, I'm sure they could have stayed in the oven longer with no issue.





And here's a shot of them! Oh, they were so good – and relatively easy to make! Most days I would probably serve these up with mashed potatoes, but I was honoring a special request for potato dumplings this day, so we had them served up with dumplings and sauerkraut. Honestly, not a bad combination!






Here's another shot, because these were awesome!





Here's a link to the recipe again. Just make sure you knock the temperatures down as I've described above. Enjoy!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

How to make awesome and saucy bison enchiladas