What Can I Make with Bison Meat?

Bison Meat is becoming increasingly popular -- and it's easy to see why. Doing the majority of my business online, I don't always get the opportunity to speak directly with my customers, however, I do have Farmers Market customers and those who call my customer service line to place their orders via telephone. In speaking with those customers, I have found myself in several instances where they are telling me all the reasons they like bison meat, or have converted entirely to bison instead of beef, and I find myself smiling, nodding along, and saying the same thing:

"Yup! Bison really is an easy product to sell. There's just not really a downside." 

In case you haven't properly been introduced to bison yet... let me fill you in on the secret:

  • Bison is a lean meat. It's low in calories, cholesterol and fat compared to other meats.
  • Bison is raised free-range, on grass for most of its life. Most ranchers take pride in raising their herd humanely and handling the animals minimally.
  • Bison are raised without hormones and steroids.
  • PLUS! As all my customers have learned and are eager to tell me... It tastes great! It's tender and full of flavor.


One of the biggest parts of my job then, as customer service rep, marketing director, bison meat salesman, etc. is to help people know how they should cook their bison meat. Because although more and more people are trying bison everyday, it is still new to the typical pallet and it requires a little extra care when cooking. In fact, if you don't follow the "Low and Slow" and not past medium doneness recommendation, bison can be easy to overcook.

So, I have done a lot of experimenting with cooking bison to familiarize myself with the meat and to show how versatile cooking with bison can be. (Have I mentioned before how much my job rocks?)

The thing is, bison can be so much more than just steak and potatoes and burgers.

What you may not realize is that Bison comes in all the same cuts you are already used to in beef. So, really the only limit as to what you can make with bison is your own palette and creativity. (But if you're not so much for thinking up your own ideas, that's what this blog is for... check out some other posts and visit NebraskaBison.com for a huge collection of bison meat recipes.)

So here's a gallery of just some of the things I've made with Bison Meat. I hope it inspires you and shows you just how versatile cooking with Bison can be:

Bison Sloppy Joes

Bison Taco Won Tons

Shredded Bison Taco Meat

Bison Steak with Penne Pasta & Vegetables

Bison Reuben Crescent Roll Appetizers

Greek Bison Steak Salad

Bison Top Sirloin with Balsamic Honey Glaze

Southwest Bison Steak Wrap

Bison Stew

BBQ Bison Cocktail Meatballs

Bison Kabobs

Nebraska Bison Stuffers

Avocado Bison Burger

Bison NY Strip Steak in Cast Iron Skillet

Spicy Island Bison Burger

Bison Cheeseburger Crescent Roll Ups

Bison Enchiladas

Bison Meatballs

Bison Lasagna

Bison Meatball Sub




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite way to cook Bison Burgers

A Quick and Easy Bison Meal: Bison Steak Bites

"Spicy Island Bison Burger" Recipe | Bison Burger with Grilled Pineapple